A year-long discipleship program of Haycock Camping Ministries
1 Corinthians 16:13-14: Be on the alert, STAND firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.
What is STAND?
STAND is a life-changing, year-long internship opportunity at Haycock Camping Ministries. The goal of this year of intense discipleship is to spur young men on to a life of faithful love and service to God, their families, their churches, their communities, and the world. This program fits perfectly with the mission of Haycock and our historical passion of “Growing boys into Godly men”.
Who is eligible to apply for STAND?
Young men ages 18-24 (between 2-6 participants) who are believers in Jesus Christ and desire to grow as Godly men and servant-leaders. Application, references, and an interview are required before admittance into the program.
What is the advantage of this type of program?
Taking a year of intentional growth, reflection, and discovery before a major transition in life (often referred to as a gap year) is very prevalent in other parts of the world, and its popularity is increasing in the United States. This year will be a time for a young man to mature spiritually, emotionally, and physically before they make successful transitions to college, the work force, the mission field, trade school, or whatever the Lord has planned for them next.
What will a young man participating in STAND experience in a year?
- Be challenged in teaching, relationships, and service experiences to grow as a Man of God
- Pick a service option to specialize in at camp – Programs, Maintenance, Kitchen or Leadership – and gain extensive experience serving in that area. You will be an essential part of running camp programs and managing camp facilities as Haycock strives to fulfill our mission of providing Christ-centered camping experiences that lead people to Jesus Christ and train them to serve Him.
- Be active throughout the year in a local, Bible-teaching church body.
- Be discipled one-on-one by a member of Haycock’s leadership.
- Take part in regularly scheduled group and individual Bible/book studies on topics such as theology, Biblical traits of manhood, justice, marriage/family, Biblical life skills, and more.
- Have fun with other young men and grow in unity together through wilderness experiences and in life together at camp.
- Experience a year of strong Christian community and encouragement.
- Complete a personalized educational plan (college credits, GED completion, etc).
- Assess areas of gifting, interest, and skill set in preparation for future calling/vocation.
- In the Fall Session (September – January), participants will intentionally focus on developing the character of a Godly man and pursuing this as a life-long goal. This session will also include a focus on personal discipline in all areas of life, the challenge of a week-long wilderness excursion, and daily physical training as the interns work towards the goal of completing a half or full marathon.
- In the Spring Session (February – May), interns will take part in an overseas mission’s trip and engage in service opportunities beyond their roles at camp. The goal of this session is to intentionally focus on understanding and applying the qualities of a servant leader in a variety of settings. Participants may also have the opportunity to shadow with a local business, church, or ministry.
- In the Summer Session (June – August), participants will serve on Haycock’s Summer Staff Team.
What is the cost of STAND?
The cost to participate in this program is $4,275 per year (or $475 per month during the Fall and Spring Sessions from September through May). This fee does not include the costs of the Spring Session Overseas Missions trip – those funds will be raised separately by the interns during the Fall Session. All housing, utilities, adventure trip costs, educational experiences, and most food costs are covered through these expenses. If finances are a concern, candidates are encouraged to use their year-round stipend and summer staff compensation to help pay for STAND and/or pursue raising financial support for this exciting ministry opportunity.
Are STAND interns compensated?
On top of free room and board, interns will receive a $100 monthly stipend for the months of September through May. During the summer months, interns will be paid the regular wages of the summer staff position for which they are hired.
What are the graduation requirements for STAND?
Young men must successfully complete all three sessions to graduate. Monthly evaluations will be given by Haycock staff to encourage areas of personal growth and responsibility.
What if I am interested in applying for STAND?
Young men who are interested in applying for this program should contact Haycock Camping Ministries to request an application. Please contact camp at 610-346-7155 or email us at [email protected] Young men may start the program at the beginning of either the Summer or the Fall Sessions. Applications for those desiring to start in the summer must be received no later than May 10th. Those desiring to begin the program in the Fall Session must have their applications in by August 10th.